ADLG - Game Report 148

Feudal French (182) vs Feudal Spanish(190)

In preparation for Historicon, where I was intending to use Feudal French, Paul and Kevin offered a couple of practice games. A very important offer as these Feudal French are a difficult army to field with their mass of impetuous medium knights. 

First up was Paul’s Feudal Spanish. I decided on an Army with 14 knights of which 12 were impetuous. Although the terrain was relatively good going for my knights, there was a rather annoying hill which would provide a good defensive position for the Spanish – who chose it - me, who moved it there - Paul.

My hope was to get a force of knights around the back of the enemy by possibly navigating the gap.

We orientated by wheeling to the threat axis.

I wasn’t obliged to charge the hill, and I wasn’t going to do so at this stage.

But I felt compelled to do so in order to try and win the battle, and besides my left was looking decidedly dodgy at this stage and therefore I had to do something. I tried to position some knights on the flank of the hill, but they were intercepted by the enemy leaving the plantation.

Although I have suffered losses taking the hill I have inflicted hits on the enemy holding, and off course I do have reserves, if they can manoeuvre fast enough to take advantage of this.

With some measure of success I have at least broken through on the right of the hill. However, on the left of the hill the left flank knights are soon to expire their last unit in holding that flank. On the right although the space is cramped I and starting to make some headway.

We have turned the flank on the hill and now have the opportunity to move down the line, time and space permitting.

Outcome

An honourable draw with 16 losses a piece.

Lessons Learnt

  • If you are attacking don’t select a hill, it might end up where you don’t want it to.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812 I decided some time ago that I needed to branch out from my current Bataille 15mm armies into the later Na...