ADLG - Game Report 327

Seleucid (42) vs Alexandrian Macedonian (39)

For my second game at the Wessex Wargamers I brought out the Seleucid's to face Kev S's macedoines. I was invited to attack in the plains. I deployed with a strong centre based on the pikes, with the elephant right and the cavalry to the left supported by the Thracians and lights.

I wanted to try and exploit both flanks before the pikes came into contact.

Both left and right flank both made good progress. Although the enemy cavalry on the left has moved to screen their left, which has meant that the numbers of heavy cavalry in contact will be equal; although the enemy are elite and only one of mine is.

Once again, my cavalry has been outfought by the enemy, while on the right the Seleucid elephant and supports have not been as successful as their Arab counterparts in the previous battle. The pike line is well placed to divide and conquer and to hopefully generate overlaps for when the enemy pikes move forward to attack.

And that is where the picture story ended as I forgot to pick up the phone again. What I did manage to do was to move the end pike unit in support of the cavalry while the remainder of the pikes and hoplites moved forward to force the enemy pikes into committing themselves to battle with me having supports and them not.

Outcome

Despite my cunning the Seleucid's perished, while the Alexandrian Macedoines only lost 8 of 22.

Lessons Learnt

  • The plan was sound, but two things went wrong. Firstly, the enemy outfought us (the enemy dice tower threw up lots of sixes to my ones and twos). Secondly, the lack of command dice for the Brilliant commander prevented the lights and mediums influencing the left flank battle.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 327

    Seleucid (42) vs Alexandrian Macedonian (39) For my second game at the Wessex Wargamers I brought out the Seleucid's to face Kev S'...