ADLG - Game Report 2

Early Imperial Roman (84) vs Graeco-Bactrian (46)

This time the Romans are brought to the table. They have already won one, lost one; what could they do this time? A little bit of intel analysis on the Graeco-Bactrians fielded by Paul Frith led me to the view that I might need more cavalry than normal, which I loaded onto my left and open wing.

Deployed for battle. Cohorts in the centre. Auxilia and Lights in the difficult terrain to the right and Cavalry to the left.
View from the right flank
Now how exactly does one deal with elephants? One eats them a bite at a time - or at least one tries to.
Cavalry have contacted on the left flank - no subtlety here! Whilst the centre left cohorts refuse their flank.

After this the contact became general across the entire front. Casualties were significant!

Result

An honourable if bloody draw with both sides reaching their rout level in the same game-turn!

Lessons Learnt

  • A reasonable force mix; the Romans can often benefit from more than the normal cavalry and fewer cohorts
  • However, I would have welcomed some lighter troops to flank the elephants
  • Take pictures at the end of the battle!

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...