Honours of War - Game Report 2

The Encounter at Zoom

Introduction

Dave and I agreed following our trial game over Zoom of Honours of War (HoW) we needed to explore both what the rule system and playing by Zoom would be like in a larger encounter. Also it would give Dave the opportunity to remove his 7YW figures from their boxes and once again deploy them on the table for a game.

All credit and kudos to Dave for the scenario, troops, game and orchestrating us through the game.

Scenario

In this scenario the French have established a strong defensive position to confront the allies. The Allies have decided to give battle and need to deploy from Line of march to attack the French and drive them from the battlefield.

Orders of Battle

Ground


As usual Dave built some nice terrain for both sides to consider from their own unique tactical perspective.

Initial Deployment

Within the scenario the French were already deployed for battle, while the Allies were required to deploy from Line of March.
 

This is how I decided to deploy the Allies. A fairly typical 7YW formation with the Cavalry on the right covering off the right flank and facing of the French cavalry. My plan was to commit the Allied Infantry to attack from the high ground to the French Centre left, strongly supported by the artillery.

Mid Point



By the midpoint of the battle. My plan has already become rather broken. My infantry attack broke down badly. The French Cavalry advanced towards me and I was committed to a large cavalry battle. In the ensuing cavalry engagement both sides lost units in mutually assured destruction. Although the Allied Cavalry fared better than the French it has given time for the French Infantry to move up in support of their cavalry. I have in turn had to commit my reserve Hanoverian Guards Brigade to support my right flank.

Outcome



By the end of the battle the Allied right is starting to look increasingly fragile as it has to give ground from the fire it is receiving from the French. With the Allied left pinned by the French it is not possible to release a Brigade to support the right, as such I decided to withdraw from battle and lick my wounds and try and learn what I had done wrong!

An earlier commitment of the Allied cavalry given their success might have been a better proposition. A thought for future games.


Here is the view from the French side with the units highlighted!













No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...