ADLG - Game Report 59

Low Countries (243) vs Catalan Company (262)

Paul had decided to try a new version of his Catalan Company and therefore allowed me an opportunity to play around with the composition of my Army. I decided on the following force mix. The major changes were to have more Heavy Knights and to make all 8 pike blocks mediocre. Not a significant change but it is interesting to see how it played out.

We both opted to play around the marsh that Paul was determined to get on the board. Originally it was flush to my coastline on the left flank and then he managed to roll a “6” and move it into the centre. We both opted to commit our Knights in the centre. Also as usual my light infantry handgunners proved no more than an irritant!

Once the Knights had achieved contact I thought I might well be in a chance. On my right I have at least managed to dissuade all but one of Paul’s light cavalry from playing in my backfield. I didn't need to worry about my camp as it was fortified; what a good use of 6 points! On my left, out of shot the left hand pike formation was in contact with the dreaded Almogavars.

In the centre my Knights have broken through but their left flank is starting to be exposed. The organ gunners are performing out-of-the-box! They won two combats and destroyed the cavalry they were facing.

On the left the pike blocks have been whittled down to the last one standing, which is gainfully holding its own until the last. The crossbowmen on the left of the line are fighting with all their worth and they have successfully fought of their opponents on each round of combat so far, but with they are now outflanked and things aren’t looking good for them.

Almost the final throw of the dice in the centre. As the longbows attack the rear of the light cav who evade.

The final action in the centre saw the destruction of Paul's medium cavalry by my Knights, but Paul has launched his Light Cavalry at the rear of my Knights and another unit in their flank. However, my counterattack with my victorious knights has hit the very same light cavalry in the rear. Failure, however, to secure an outstanding victory by attacking these light cavalry in the rear with my Knights and in shooting at the other Light Cavalry by the organ guns and Longbows failed to lift me into a mutual destruction.

Outcome

A victory for the Catalans 23 to 19.

Lessons Learnt

  • After finishing the game and in our concluding washup with Paul I was reminded that I really ought to buy some Foot Knights. (Done - on order!)
  • An interesting point on how I position the Knights. Rather than two blocks of 3 (impact and non-impact) it might have been better to alternate them down the line.
  • Try and avoid the light infantry being outflanked so that they might live a little longer!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...