ADLG - Game Report 61

Andalusian Arabs(133) vs Visigoths in Spain (141)

And finally for the third ADLG in a week, this time against Kevin. I opted to field my Andalusian Arabs, and he put together the Visigoths as a suitable opponent. With 24 units a piece we had two evenly matched armies; his infantry heavy, mine cavalry heavy. In NATO Battlegroup terms his army was grouped as (1,2), and I was (2,1).

I won the initiative and decide to attack in the plains. Although given the density of terrain it wasn’t the plains we would have liked to fight in. I deployed Cavalry on the right, infantry on the left. Kevin had his cavalry flanked by two infantry commands. For the life of me I can’t remember why I didn’t deploy my camp behind the infantry behind the field.

The courtly dance begins. Kevin has decided to refuse his centre, and is trying to get his bows into flanking fire on my Light Cavalry.

There was a bit of stand-off in the centre and my right as the infantry on the left are about to come into contact. I decided that I was not going to be over rash with my Cavalry this time! On the far right my Javelinmen are going to try and hold off two mediocre Swordsmen. 

Meanwhile, the initial contact on my left has not been as successful as I would like with one of my Heavy Spearmen being heavily defeated by the furious charge of the Kevin’s Swordsmen!

Cavalry contact! My elite Heavy Cavalry have rolled over one swordsmen and are now continuing the movement to their front and flank. However, the rest of the Cavalry have not fared as well losing two units. While Kevin’s Bowmen have destroyed their opposite number.

On the left better news as the Black Guard have done what they are supposed to do; destroy enemy swordsmen.

The centre and right have become very fragmented. We both need good command and control at this stage, but the dice gods abandon Kevin’s commander on his left. My elite Heavy Cavalry are sweeping all before them. I have thrown the Light Cavalry forward to break up Kevin’s line and exploit any gaps I can find. However, my camp is now vulnerable.

On the left we are moving into a position to be able to complete the destruction of Kevin’s Swordsmen.

Which we do on the final turn. However, not before Kevin secures some pay-back by destroying my over ambitious Heavy Cavalry that tried to exploit into his reserves.

Although my camp has been ransacked, the cumulative losses from the infantry losses he suffered against the Black Guard and my elite Heavy Cavalry have broken Kevin’s army.

Outcome

A win for the Andalusian Arabs, in a hard fought battle 19 to 25.

Lessons Learnt

  • Obey one’s first instincts and try and make your camp secure, even if its loss is only 4 points.
  • I agree with Kevin’s observation, I was a little overloaded with that many Light Cavalry. A tweak to the army list is required.
  • Mixing the infantry units up was a good plan in this case.
  • Hint from Kevin; learn the killer instinct to finish the battle! I should have attacked his disordered bows in the rear!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...