ADLG - Game Report 62

Pyrrhic (44) vs Macedonian Successor (41) 

I decided that I need more practice with my Alexandrian Greeks. Paul kindly offered to do battle. I opted for a Pyrrhic army, one which I had always considered under WRG 6th but never got around to fielding.

The table was for once not as congested with terrain to hamper Pike blocks has it has been in other games with the Greeks! Although I had to contend with the brush in the middle of my deployment area. I had to defend. I had my Pikes in one command with my Cavalry in another with the Elephants and supporting troops out on the left.

Paul decided to conduct an aggressive left flanking with his cavalry. I started to reorientate my line by bringing my cavalry across to match them and use my Pikes to protect my flank by pulling them back and then right wheeling them.

By now I have started to create some room for manouvere on the right as my Light Cavalry fight to the death to delay the enemy. However, the eventual loss of these lights and other lights on the left was going to prove costly.

The manouvering almost over, and the main event is about to start. Albeit that indications on my left are that this isn’t going to be easy.

Contact! One of the Elephants has been somewhat successful but the rest of the contacts have not gone well. My light troops on my left are not having much luck in slowing down the Thracians and the enemy light troops – this will have unfortunate consequences very soon.

The cavalry battle is going in my favour. However, the Thracians on my left are rolling up my left and have already destroyed one elephant and the other died shortly after. My Pikes in the centre are more than holding their won, but the lack of flank protection is worrying as my losses mount.

Outcome

A win for the Macedonians by 22 to 13. The loss of my Light troops to fire and melee gave Paul a leg up once we got to the final contact. A great game and the manouvering before contact was exciting and good fun.

Lessons Learnt

  • Grouping commands based on troop type significantly reduces the armies flexibility.
  • My initial deployment was overly focused on protecting my camp!
  • Paul’s suggestion that I need to think more about how I employ my Light troops has significant merit!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...