ADLG - Game Report 126

Thessalian Greeks (60) vs Graeco-Bactrian(46)

As usual we all took a break from the festive season to do ADLG battle at Entoyment, and to do a little shopping in the store. I decided to use my Thessalians as I was going to be using them for the first round of the Southern League at Oxford in January. My first battle was against Robin’s Graeco-Bactrians.

I was obliged to attack, and advanced with my left cavalry wing supported by the Hoplites in the centre. I wanted to try and stay as far from the Pikes as I could for as long as possible.

The bow armed light cavalry came forward to try and delay me. The benefits of paying to up-armour my Hoplites was saving me suffering undue casualties as I advanced.

The grand cavalry battle on the left has yet to make contact. Meanwhile a group of hoplites as worked their way around the flank of the cavalry while another group have moved forward to pin the other cavalry. On the right my Thracians are ready to do battle with their Thracian cousins in the employ of the Graeco-Bactrians.

The Thessalian cavalry are getting the upper hand over their opponents. However, things are less comfortable on the centre right and right. The question would be whether I could overcome the enemy’s right wing quickly enough to move against his centre before they did the same to me!

My right wing is starting to crumble, not helped by my Thracians suffering from javelin fire. On my left the Hoplites have accepted the charge of the Greek cavalry and are now at the point when they will put them to flight – well that is the theory anyway!

The Thracians are being cut down by the incessant javelin fire. While behind them the right flank hoplites are being taken apart by Pikes and Cavalry in the flank. On my left I have the advantage and despite being up lots the Greek cavalry continue to thwart me.

Not only are those Greek Cavalry on my left flank doing their best to thwart me, but they have also actually destroyed a Hoplite unit despite their wounds. In the centre we are trading blows to little effect on either side, while we each wait for reinforcements from the flanks to complete the victory.

After at least 6 rounds of melee combat I still could not destroy the enemy cavalry protecting the right of the Greek line, this is in spite of the fact that in each of the combats I was at least 3 or 4 up! Meanwhile the Greek left wing has overcome my right and completed their victory.

Outcome

A win for the Graeco-Bactrians by 13 to 24; we are given to understand that the Graeco-Bactrians crafted a new military award for their cavalry after their outstanding performance!

Lessons Learnt

  • Waiting too long to chase down the Javelinmen on the right.
  • Perhaps a Plan B is needed when you cannot overcome a very stubborn unit delaying you.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...