ADLG - Game Report 146

Seleucid (42) vs Carthaginians (55)

I was kindly invited to the Wessex Wargames Saturday Meeting in Lyndhurst by Mark et al, to play a few ADLG games. I decided to take along the Seleucids as I certainly needed more experience of fielding these pike armies. My First fame was against Dave’s Carthaginians, a nice period match within the Punic Wars. I decided to load my right with my Cataphracts, and the Scythed Chariots with the hope that they would again breakthrough.

My ambush in the gully to the shore was detected! Meanwhile the lines closed in the centre and the right.

If only the Carthaginian cavalry would stand and fight I might then equaliser some of the losses I was starting to suffer on the left. Meanwhile the Chariots have suffered their first loss.

In the centre we continue to close down the enemy. Hopefully the fact that the battle on my left has drawn of another couple of units means that we might be able to prevail elsewhere.

Contact in the centre and the right, but my Pikes suffer more hits than they inflict!

Despite having the preponderance of combat power in the centre, I have lost that battle significantly!! Meanwhile the Cataphracts are also suffering very badly. The Carthaginians quantity has a quality all of its own.

Outcome

A win for the Carthaginians by 21 to 23.

Lessons Learnt

  • We were trading blow for blow, which inevitably meant that I would break first.
  • Is it better when attacking with fewer troops to the enemy to close the distance and get to grips as quick as one can?
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812 I decided some time ago that I needed to branch out from my current Bataille 15mm armies into the later Na...