ADLG - Game Report 306

Taifa Kingdom (204) vs Ghaznavids (201)

After a crushing victory over the French over night (6 to 4) could I do any better on Sunday in Devizes. While there were 5 Ghaznavid armies in the competition Harry's was the first (and as it happens, the only one) I would fight; that is the benefit of being in the lower half of the competition draw. I decided to attack in the plains, but the plain I would have wanted to fight over was not the plain I found myself on. I always assume I could play it safe in a competition, but that isn't me. So I decided the best form of defence is to attack.

Hence, I committed all of the Cavalry to try and overwhelm the centre before the elephants on the flank could intervene. A bold and courageous decision your highness. On the left the light troops drew back the veil of the elephants waiting in ambush behind the hill; hardly a great surprise!

The Cavalry and Knights in the centre started to charge and disperse the enemy horse archers. On the right two squadrons of Heavy Impact Cavalry charged a threatening enemy light cavalry unit with the express purpose of trying to protect the line of cavalry in combat. And as predicted in the previous game the dice gods and karma meant that the Cavalry battle didn't go the way we would have liked. On the left the elephant does what elephants do best, but their supporting troops although they lost the first round fought back in the second.

On the left in spite of a successful counter from the Taifa spearmen the elephant and remaining impetuous swordsmen continue to defy the odds. In the centre we have managed to further disperse the horse archers but have failed to drive them from the battlefield. The sacrifice of the cavalry against the elephants on the left has been to no avail as we have failed to defeat the enemy cavalry.

Outcome

  • A crushing Ghaznavid victory in which they lost 8 cohesion points.
  • Tournament running scores: One Draw, Two losses, One win with one game to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sharpe Practice - Game Report 2

A further encounter in 1809 Kevin and I decided that we needed a break from ADLG and CoC so a mutual decision to enter the world of Sharpe ...