ADLG - Game Report 307

Taifa Kingdom (204) vs Feudal Scandinavians (218)

For my final game it was a pleasure to face up against Cameron and his Scandies. He won the initiative and decided to defend in the plains, and the terrain could not have been any better for him. This left me the problem of how a Cavalry army was going to attack and beat a line of spears. I decided to err on the side of caution and placed the foot on the right and I left the centre Cavalry command in column so it could then move left or right as the situation or my mood took it.

The plan was to try and exploit the one weakness I cold see which was the lone bowmen on the right of the Scandie line. If I could break through there with a supporting attack by the Knightsto the right of the field, I might be able to penetrate the left cavalry column into the depth of the enemy position. Another bold and courageous plan your highness.

Well, that went well didn't it? Not! An attack against the Bows failed and the enemy cavalry have intervened. One last throw of the dice would be to throw in the Heavy Cavalry.

The attack in the field stalled, while the supporting attack saw the loss of two Heavy Cavalry. A breakthrough on the left was increasingly unlikely as the casualties increased.

The Cavalry was disengaged but not before a unit f Knights was destroyed. While attempts to take down the enemy bowmen on the right by both Light Cavalry and medium spearmen both failed miserably. In the centre the infantry have also failed to shine through; on reflection it is unlikely that the Taifa won more than two combats the entire game!

Outcome

A crushing Scandie victory in which they lost only 3 cohesion points. Karma is complete.

Tournament running scores: One Draw, Three losses, One win; this left me 20 out of 24 (no wooden spoon this time around).

Lessons Learnt

  • I could have fought for a draw, but where would have been the fun in that?
  • Perhaps it could have been better fun if the melee dice had been a little more balanced?
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Sharpe Practice - Game Report 2

    A further encounter in 1809 Kevin and I decided that we needed a break from ADLG and CoC so a mutual decision to enter the world of Sharpe ...