1809 Austrians vs French around Regensburg
Round two for Adam and myself. We decided not to leave it to long between games as we wanted to make sure that we remembered as much of the rules as we could. I don't think we did too bad at all. Overall more than a qualified success, we are both warming to the rules.
Initial Forces - 200 points
Adam's French were similar to the last orbat. This time, however, he decided to have less capable commanders which freed up the points for a Cuirassier Division of two regiments with an accompanying horse battery. The other two divisions were infantry.
My Austrians were similar to the previous game, except that I downrated the infantry to all conscripts. This gave me two infantry divisions, one with 4 regiments and a battery and the other with 6 regiments and a battery (68 points), The same advance guard division and the Dragoon Division. The difference in size between the infantry divisions was to ensure that if we had to fight an Assault battle again, then I would be able to leave the larger infantry division off table as the reserve given it was one third of the army!
Game Turn 1
Game Turn 3
Game Turn 4
This game turn saw the Advance Guard divisions crumble under the French Infantry attack and their hussars eliminated by the Cuirassiers. With that we drew a line under the game, and awarded the French the vicorry based on the Austrian cohesion losses reaching 38 points and they held the hill objective. And Entoyment wanted to close!
- If both players have the rules with them certainly would help speed up the game :).
- Leaving Austrians in attack column to defend isn't the best tactic as they lose their firepower.
- Once again deployment and size of the forces means that one has to choose very carefully an initial deployment.
- As an Austrian with limited command capability once you have deployed you are deployed; you are unlikely to have sufficient command points to respond flexibly.
- Light and medium cavalry are like lambs to the slaughter against Cuirassiers; unless one really gets lucky with the combat dice.
- The terrain was much better this time. It helps to have some large terrain elements and buildings that are the recommended sizes.