ADLG - Game Report 9

ADLG - Thessalian (60) vs Graeco-Bactrian (46)

A Socially Distanced Garden Game with Paul Frith

While we wait patiently for the lockdown restrictions to be lifted we took opportunity of a spell of what looked like good weather to get a game in the garden - conducted all according to the lockdown regulations. I say looked like good weather, only for the heavens to open. Fortunately my garden parasol managed to keep the worst of the weather off us as we played.
See it was at least sunny enough when we started! A typical Greek deployment with Hoplites in the centre and the light troops and cavalry thrown out to the flank. Paul seized on the gully I chose as a useful piece of flank protection.


I left-wheeled the Greeks as quickly as I could into the Bactrians. Meanwhile Paul's Bactrians are doing their own left wheel with their faster troops into my flank. I have started to inflict some hits despite losing two light cavalry who I impetuously charge into hos light cavalry. 

The Greek Peltasts supported by the Hoplites try to drive of Elite Elephants. 
Despite the Greek loses on their left flank to the elephants the Greek right has destroyed the Indian archers in a lengthy fire fight. In the centre the Greek Hoplites are more than holding their own against the Bactrian phalanx.
The Greek medium cavalry has been destroyed and the Elephants have found a new target. The centre is being strongly contested.


The Hoplites have destroyed the Bactrian Phalanx, and the Peltasts are about to destroy the remaining phalanx. At this stage I only needed one more hit to defeat Paul. I missed the opportunity to engage his cavalry with my hoplites to secure a hit and the chance went begging as he managed to rally his units and then destroyed the peltasts with his cavalry. Once again trying to get that last point to beat Paul proved elusive!

Result

A victory for the Bactrian's, but only because I missed the opportunity to finish Paul off and he managed to seize the opportunity to rally some units!

Lessons Learnt

  • Try and pick the right commander for the right command!
  • Look for opportunities to finish the enemy.
  • Infantry can charge cavalry and it is sometimes the right thing to do

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...