ADLG - Game Report 11

Thessalians(60) vs Spartans(60)

A very good game against Kevin Perry, which wasn't as close as I would like.

I knew it was going to be a battle of the spears against spears, and therefore from experience wanted to work the flanks. However, a little better appreciation of the ground would have led me to use the secure right flank a lot better, rather than expecting the cavalry to hold or better on the right!

The lines are about to meet!

And the lines meet! Spear against Spear who would prevail?

Honours were about even on the Spear vs Spear battles.

On the right my cavalry have been destroyed after holding back the Spartans back for a while. They are now starting to sweep around my right flank.

My one success was destroying 50% of the Spartan hoplites, and also King Leonidas; perhaps he won't be lending his name to a brand of Belgian chocolates on this timeline :)

My elite Hoplites on the right of the line are about to be destroyed.

Meanwhile my timidity on the left flank means that I fail to capitalize on my numerical advantage and achieve sufficient kills. I disordered a lot of Kevin's army but in the end my losses soon ramped up to a losing position.

Outcome

A losing margin of 26 to me and 9 to Kevin. A little on-sided!

The one highlight was that in three pursuit moves by hoplites (2 for Kevin and 1 for me) we rolled a 6! I am sure that Adidas trainers weren't the normal foot wear for Greek Hoplites. but who am I to know?

What I do know is that Kevin's two armoured hoplites, forgot their body armour and perished in the battle! 

Lessons Learnt

  • Once again I failed to make the most of the ground leading to a less than optimum deployment.
  • The spears vs spear battles of hoplite vs hoplite is always going to be a 50:50 battle.
  • Cavalry can hold their own, but not for as long as one would like!
  • Peltasts can take on Hoplites but it is best not done in the line of battle.
  • Kevin's deployment of light troops along the line was instructive, and in line with the period.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...