Bolt Action - Game Report 8

Operation Hatton – August 1944

Introduction

Prior to the forthcoming Bolt Action tournament, Kevin Parry invited me over to his war room to practise with our BA forces. I decided to deploy a similar, but not identical, force to the one I would use in the tournament.

Situation

The Battalion Commander laid out the situation for me. Divisional intelligence had identified a German forward headquarters which needed to be destroyed. This headquarters was controlling all the forces east of the river Orne. Its destruction would hamper the Germans to respond to forthcoming operations to secure Caen.

Enemy Forces

As far as we could determine from aerial reconnaissance German forces were likely to be light. However, we detected what looked like a newly painted Panzer IV or Tiger tank in the vicinity.

Friendly Forces

The CO provided OC 9Pl with additional support for this operation. He secured from the Divisional engineer regiment a Wasp flamethrower and a M5 halftrack. he also contributed from battalion resources a 6lb anti-tank gun and a mortar team.

Mission

9 Pl 1 DOG is to destroy the enemy headquarters at grid NC675184

Combat Report

The FOO and the Mortar Fire Controller deployed early into the westerly of the two buildings on the High Street. This gave them ample visibility both northeast and southeast. I deployed with one and two sections on the south side of the main road. I gave the mortar section orders to set up to the rear of the westerly building. The Wasp was to deploy with them until we found a suitable target for it. On my left out of view I deployed the anti-tank gun with its Bren gun carrier to secure my vital ground.

The Germans counterattacked quickly. They were determined to stop my men reaching their objective. They committed at least two sections their tank and their recce vehicle to counteract my advance. For my part I managed to pin down his section that was advancing on my left to my own vital ground.

Number 1 section were in serious trouble. The tank was inflicting heavy casualties with its machine guns, and an enemy pioneer section equipped with flamethrowers was closing on its position. Number 2 section who was supposed to advance on the right were pinned down by German spandaus and failed to advance.

Sgt Browne VC (awarded posthumously for this action) Decided to seize the initiative. He ordered his Wasp forward to outflank the Panzer IV. On his first attempt to fire the flame failed to ignite. He then came under heavy machine fire from a German halftrack and mortar fire. While they were fixing the problems with the igniter circuit the Panzer 4 turret swung round to try to engage them. The shot missed but caused the carrier’s engine to stall. Fortunately, the remedy worked and the flame ignited enveloping the tank. The tank wasn't destroyed but it was now immobile. Before Sgt Browne managed to restart the carrier, it came under heavy mortar fire again. This time igniting the fuel tank and destroying it. For his commendable personal bravery and valour, he was awarded the Victoria Cross posthumously.

On my left flank Number 3 section, supported by the half track and Bren carrier, were able to advance and close with the enemy defending the hedgerow. However, the damage inflicted to numbers 1 section and 2 section prevented me advancing and securing my objective. Equally the Germans were unable to secure their own.

Outcome

An honourable draw. But an exceedingly exciting game!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...