ADLG - Game Report 31

Feudal French (182) vs Sicilian Normans (188)

For my final pre-Warfare test game, Paul kindly offered me battle with his Sicilians.

By the time of our battle my list had been submitted for the competition. This was the final iteration, where I decided to choose a Northern French army which allowed me to have some Flemish Pikes. I thought that the benefits of pikes would overcome the fact that they were mediocre pikes! 

In this game I deployed the infantry on the left with cavalry in the centre. On the right I deployed some crossbows and medium swordsmen with the intent of sacrificing them to delay Paul's left wing. 

I rather botched my Cavalry deployment to the left of the wood!

This when I realised that Paul's left wing made of  Elite Almughavar medium spearmen were going to make short work of my delaying force. I did try to get at least one knight around to try and relieve them.

Although my right flank has started to crumble, my infantry are having some success, and my knights in the centre are about to make contact.

In this game my infantry performed well. One of my pike blocks has broken through the enemy line and I am up in most combats there. In the centre my knights are holding their own, but on my right the inherent weaknesses of my deployment have been ruthlessly exploited by Paul.

Outcome

A hard fought victory for Paul. If my right had been better thought through I might have managed a win!

Lessons Learnt

  • The balance of this army was much better.
  • The decision to try and hold up the Almughavar with the crossbows and swords was ill-advised!
  • The choice of Pikes seems to have paid off well.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...