ADLG - Game Report 57

Early Imperial Roman(85) vs Early Imperial Roman(85)

A rare trip to London allowed me to book a game at the CLWC with Richard. Also it gave an opportunity to bring the Romans to the table. I had an idea that they might give Paul’s Catalan’s a good game. Interestingly Richard also used Nabatean allies.

The battlefield didn’t have too much terrain. Certainly not enough to please the auxilia who were looking for some poor ground to exploit. The Nabatean Ally proved to be reliable; much to my regret!

I refused my left and advanced in oblique order on the right. However, before I advanced too far Richard’s integrated artillery proved exceptionally effective.

I made a huge tactical mistake in not covering the flank of my cavalry when I moved into contact. Meanwhile his artillery and light infantry were starting to irritate me with their accuracy!

I was fortunate enough to be able to reciprocate the flank attack on Richard and slightly recover the position with my cavalry. The artillery are continuing to pound the legionnaires.

My cavalry although outnumbered are starting to break through; or is that left behind as the enemy advance?

My cavalry have all but won their battle. Is there time for them to attack the enemy in the rear? In the centre the opposing infantry lines clash, with some of my legionnaires looking very fragile. Meanwhile the Nabatean cataphracts are about to launch their attack on my left.

My left has collapsed, and the centre has been broken through. I cannot even take any solace in the fact that my cavalry has finally come to the party to help destroy something!

Outcome

A win for the Romans and Nabateans by 16 losses to 23.

Lessons Learnt

  • An overly-enthusiastic attack without protecting my flanks destroyed a cavalry unit.
  • I learnt that any units shifted to allow a unit to confirm cannot then move or rally in that turn pg 53.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...