ADLG - Game Report 63

Triumvirate Roman (83) vs Timurid (273)

I was fortunate to be invited to join a team at the BHGS ADLG Team event at SELWG. “Right Said Fred” were one “Fred” short of a team member so I volunteered to field a 28mm army for them. With no 28mm Army of my own, yet, I was fortunate to be loaned Paul’s Triumvirate Romans with their single mediocre Elephant; the theme of the competition was that the Army had to have a Pachyderm in its force mix!

I couldn’t go into battle without a practice so Paul kindly invited me down to Entoyment for a trial game. Just before we were due to meet the draw for the competition at SELWG was announced; Paul and I would also meet in round 1 of the competition.

I chose a different troop mix from the list I submitted for the competition. In this battle all the legionaries are elite, as you will soon see later, I should have stuck with this list!

I sent the pachyderm right flanking to try and scare some horses.

My right has forced the enemy cavalry to evade and with the threat of the enemy light troops around my right flank I decided to support the right with legionnaires from the centre. Although the lights on the hill on the right are in a good position on the hill and in spite of their disorder they should have been capable of holding their own; they weren’t!

As often happens the game became one of manoeuvring for advantage, this time in the centre and on my left flank.

My left flank has done incredibly well and has broken through and in the process of rolling up the Timurid right. On my right centre the German cavalry are also doing well supported by the moors. The centre legionaries are not doing as well against the enemy elephant.

The German Cavalry have fought of the enemy and have broken through and secured the camp. The Timurid cavalry have broken off on my left flank, and in the centre the last legionary unit supported by the Moors is trying to hold of the enemy pachyderm.

Outcome

A rare win for me against Paul. Taking the camp was a very useful bonus to help me over the line for the win.

Lessons Learnt

  • Distance estimation in 28mm ADLG is difficult when you have been playing 15mm for so long!
  • Making the Legionaries elite was a very sound move.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...