ADLG - Game Report 109

Seleucid (42) vs Alexander the Great (40)

We once again all convened at Entoyment for another day’s ADLG gaming. For the day I took along three revised army lists, for Seleucid, Andalusian Arab and the Ottoman Empire. First up was a rematch against Paul, and we both agreed it couldn’t be worse than the last battle we fought with the Greeks!

I pushed forward my elephants while keeping the rest of the Army closely grouped and poised to strike.

Fortunately, I scored a hit on the lights in the plantation, which rather limited their ability to hold the ground against my elephants. While on the left my scythed chariot was biding its time looking for a suitable target.

Well, the chariots found a target, as their initial victim evaded. Only to find it up against an elite heavy cavalry unit with an included General – it didn’t survive that outcome. On the right the elephants are making heavy going of the Thracians.

Unfortunately, one of the elephants was destroyed, but on the plus side its rampage took it of to the beach. In the centre Paul’s elephant has had much more success while my cavalry continues to fight for their lives.

And finally, my elephants have broken through and we might stand a chance to bear down on the enemy flank. On the hand, Paul’s elephants have been more successful and destroyed a pike block, but they are looking less than healthy.

I was fortunate to overcome the first elephant which them rampaged into the one behind it, leaving it open to further harm from which I duly obliged giving it the coup de grace. On my left my remaining cavalry are trying to contain the enemy cavalry. However, my Thracians have the enemy camp in its sights.

With better command dice I would have been home and dry, but alas before I could exploit my success my cavalry were overwhelmed and the flanks of my pikes were exposed and attacked by cavalry.

Outcome

A win for the Alexandrians, by 16 to 23. A much closer fight than the last which could have gone either way. We both agreed that the initial combat of the scythed chariot rather set the tone for the battle. If that had gone by way it might well have been a different outcome!

Lessons Learnt

  • Although it was not a winning outcome the army design seemed to work well.
  • Scythed chariots are definitely a one-hit wonder, but for 3 points and no impact on army cohesion they are certainly something worth using in to use a few points.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...