ADLG - Game Report 95

German-Tencteri (91) vs Numidian (56)

By way of a summer holiday and an opportunity to take an army on campaign I decided to enter Historicon’s ADLG competition. I am glad I did as not only was it a good break, but the event was very interesting. It was the first time for 20 plus years that I had been to a US wargaming event. I have to say it was as great a collegiate event as were the other ADLG tournaments I have taken part in here in UK. I have to say we have a very good community of ADLG players around the world!!! The first day was a round of open battles, and as I was travelling with the one Army of German barbarians it would be interesting to see how they faired.

My first battle was against Brian’s Numidians. An interesting army that I had not encountered before, but the list makes it look quite effective and a good balance. All kudos to Brian, his Numidians were all 3d printed by himself, which all rather convinced me to invest in a 3d printer! Onto the battle, I placed my best command on the left confronting the Numidian strength. My allies were on the left.

I held back the centre ready to move wither left or right as circumstances dictated. Slightly irritating that the Numidians had seized my gully!

My allies went onto the defensive to protect the flank, while my centre command moves up in to support the right.

Rather mixed combat results on the right with the Numidian cavalry besting mine. While in the centre the furiosity of my charge was absent, as I came of second best.

The German cavalry has been reduced to a two units; the infantry don’t look much better. On the left, the right half of the allied line has been broken.

The centre has broken through, and the right is fighting heroically despite the cohesion hits. The German Cavalry are fighting back against the Numidian cavalry.

At the end of the game on the left the allies are fighting to the last, however by securing the gully I have started to provide some protection to the flank of the centre and right. In the centre and right despite multiple cohesion hits my warbands are fighting on to the death.

Outcome

A mutually assured destruction was a very fair and enjoyable result!

Lessons Learnt

  • Sacrificing the Allied command to tie down the enemy right was a brave decision, perhaps I could have been more aggressive with them – command rolls permitting of course!
  • The elite heavy infantry were valuable in absorbing cohesion hits and continuing to fight on!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...