ADLG - Game Report 121

Triumvirate Roman (83) vs Classical Greeks (Spartan) (60)

After the practice the main event at Brixham. My first battle was against Paul’s Spartans, who certainly told it to me. I decided to try for a left flanking supporting manoeuvre by my cavalry, while the main infantry line tried to overwhelm the Spartan right wing.

Right from the start things, as usual started to come unstuck, as my troops in the gully were undone by the spartan skirmish fire. The left wing advanced forward and I used two legionary cohorts to screen of he enemy in the wood on the left.

In response to my cavalry trying to attack down the left of the gully the Spartans moved to close the gap, forcing my Cavalry to go the long way around – bad decision. Meanwhile the Thracians continue to get overwhelmed with skirmish fire.

On the left wing the honours are broadly even. Even thought we destroyed a Spartan unit; they are inflicting hits upon me. Despite their losses the Thracians are trying to close the gap with the skirmishers and to generate enough room to allow the cavalry to pass by.

The Spartans are now wearing down the legionaries with losses amounting rapidly. There looks like there will be insufficient time for the cavalry to have any effect on the battle.

Indeed, the outcome was determined by the success of the Spartan’s in the centre where the legionaries have been taken apart.

Outcome

A loss to the Spartans by 22 to 7.

Lessons Learnt

  • If you have 22 units make sure you deploy them all! I forgot for some reason to deploy two Moorish Light Cavalry men.
  • I could have potentially driven the skirmishers away from the gully by charging the cavalry straight across the gully, rather than taking the long way around.
  • Concentrating on one flank alone would have been a better plan!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...