ADLG - Game Report 120

Triumvirate Roman (83) vs Late Imperial Roman (87)

Next tournament to plan and rehearse for was the 3rd Devonian Classic in Brixham. I opted to play in the 15mm competition, as I did not yet have a 28mm army of the period defined for the competition. Paul decided to filed his Late Imperial Romans, which he would be fielding in the competition in 28mm, as a suitable opponent for me and for him.

I loaded up my army on the right, refusing my left, with an ambuscade deployed in the wood line on my right.

The legionaries have managed to form a line with secure flanks. The cavalry are positioning themselves to be capable of exploiting any break through on the centre or right flanks. My Thracians and the lights in support have sprung the enemy ambush to find it empty.

The line is still intact as Paul’s Romans advance to meet it. Meanwhile my cavalry are positioning themselves for either the enemy camp or the end of its line. A paucity of command dice are limiting my ability to move the lights up in support.

The lines continue to close. On my right the Moors have been brought back through the Cavalry line to regroup. From Paul’s perspective it would be could his cataphracts overwhelm the legionaries in front of them.

Contact! The Cataphracts have overwhelmed one of the legionary units, but the other has held. On the right the cavalry have done well even thought he enemy had the advantage of being uphill.

My centre legionaries are in some bother, as are those facing the Cataphracts. However my cavalry on the right supporting the legionaries were doing an excellent job. The camp is exposed to my cavalry.

The enemy left is falling before us, we have seized the camp and are also in a position to conclude our attack down the enemy line. The same cannot be said about my left which is now in dire trouble.

Outcome

At the time we declared a win for the Triumvirate Romans by 24 cohesion hits to the 12 they received. However, on closer inspection we resolved the fall of the camp incorrectly but despite this Paul was content with calling the result as it was – very kind and generous of him.

Lessons Learnt

  • Read the rules if you aren’t sure – don’t guess.
  • In the last game turn the left hand most legionary unit charged some enemy lights in order to avoid needing to conform and expose its flank to the cataphracts.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...