ADLG - Game Report 135

Seleucid(42) vs Campanian(51)

Day 2 and first up was a fight against Gordon’s Campanians – a very interesting army! In the terrain selection I have never seem so much terrain end up on one flank of the battlefield. I won the initiative and decided to attack. Clearly it was going to be a similar plan to the previous battle with the medium troops committed on the left of the line.

I decided that if I was going to win and defeat sufficient of the enemy I needed to get into the centre. I refused my left and right to allow me to make progress. However, this time my scythed chariots fell victim to that well know light troops ploy, and hence failed to influence the battle.

I decided to engage the light cavalry in the flank with cataphracts, but the Campanians were loathe to come out to fight so I had to get in there myself. I also broke my own line a little to allow a pike block to provide some flank protection.

Well the flank protection gambit provided by the pikes has not been successful! On the right the eliteness of the enemy troops is having a significant impact on the outcome of the fights in the rough. While in the centre I think the best one can say at this stage is that the honours are broadly even, but they have the weight of number and overlaps.

My right flanks has been broken, but the pikes providing flank protection, supported by the Thracians allows them to continue to fight. In the centre we have broken through with the pikes, but the left of my line is looking increasingly vulnerable.

Outcome

A win for the Campanians by inflicting 21 hits on me and only receiving 11 of 26 in return.

Lessons Learnt

  • The weight of enemy numbers was difficult to deal with.
  • It may have been better to fight a defensive battle.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...