ADLG - Game Report 154

Feudal French (182) vs Catalan Company (262)

On to a further practice game against Paul’s Catalan’s. This would be a pivotal game in planning for Historicon, but little did I know that when I rolled the dice, and was gifted the role of attacker. Additionally, once we laid out the terrain, for some reason it seemed familiar, and it was only when I was writing the blog that I discovered that it was almost identical to the key terrain on Paul’s side of the battlefield as in the game against Paul’s Feudal Spanish. Terrain which he would of course defend again, this time it was even more challenging as the hill was covered in fields!

The Catalan’s camped out on the key terrain, and allowed their cavalry to sally forth to engage mine.

I tried to bring my Knights to bear on the left to combat the Spanish Knights.

And then brought more to the left, as slowly as I could of course. Meanwhile I was trying to penetrate the gap on the enemy left and pull them out of position and make them targets for my Knights.

Such grand plans are difficult to accomplish with poor command dice and impetuous troops! Meanwhile the battle on the left has become fragmented again.

I tried to attack the hill with what troops I had but to no avail. Even the swordsmen could not budge the lowly bowmen with whom they were confronted.

Outcome

Game abandoned by mutual agreement. There was no way that the French would prevail, and it would have meant playing the battle out for the sake of rolling the dice. Not a very savoury experience for either of us.

Lessons Learnt

  • If in a competition I am confronted with similar situation, terrain, and defensive opponent, I would settle for a draw and not advance.
  • If I was in a competition and not advancing to battle I am not playing and where is the fun in that!
  • As much fun as 14 Knights are to fight with, they aren’t a competition army.
  • Bring out the second option for Historicon; Taifa Kingdom
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812 I decided some time ago that I needed to branch out from my current Bataille 15mm armies into the later Na...