ADLG - Game Report 156

Taifa Kingdom (204) vs Later Crusader (196)

What would have been my last practice game for Historicon, if I had been going, I matched up a redesigned Taifa Kingdom army to fight Kevin’s late Crusaders. The redesign was to group the Medium Knights in one command with the Arab Horsemen in another command, and a supporting infantry command. I went for a classical infantry in the middle with mounted troops on the wings. In this case the Knights on the left.

I decided to support the Knights with the infantry to the left of the field as the advanced against the Mongol allies, while the others went after the enemy infantry. The Arab cavalry closed the distance with the enemy Knights.

The Crusaders also split their infantry line; in doing so they left a gap which my Arab Horsemen were able to penetrate, and also they were able to overlap the infantry to provide support. On the left the Knights secured the hill and were facing off against the Mongols.

The penetration of the enemy line allowed us to attack in the flank and rear to destroy two heavy spearmen. However, the other heavy spearmen survived the flank attack and grimly hung on. This success was bought at the cost of a number of Arab Horsemen. On the left the Knights and spears pursued the Mongol allies who refused to stand and fight.

Those enemy spears continued to refuse to die for the cause! However, my medium and lights, supported by the Arab Horsemen destroyed one bowmen unit, and then went looking for the second bowmen. On the left the Knights are hunting down the Mongols, while the Light Cavalry engaged the enemy General. However, it will only be a matter of time before my camp would be taken.

The enemy General was destroyed by the Light Cavalry, while the rest of the Knights continued to maraud deep into the enemy position with the enemy camp in their sights; it was unlikely that there would be time to ransack it. One of my Heavy Spearmen was overran by the enemy knights in a combat that they should have won (anything but a one said Kevin, and I duly obliged him). Without a General to command the Light Cavalry heading to my camp, the big question was, would their command roll provide sufficient command points to allow them to take it?

Outcome

A 24 to 20 victory for the Late Crusaders, all because they rolled a 3 for the Light Cavalry command roll! An excellent and very close game.

Lessons Learnt

  • I must remember as soon as Crossbows fire at a unit they all have a protection on one, and not remember halfway through the game!
  • On balance it might be better to have a fortified camp.
  • There isn’t much one can do when the enemy rolls a 1 and wins the combat and destroys your unit!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812 I decided some time ago that I needed to branch out from my current Bataille 15mm armies into the later Na...