ADLG - Game Report 160

Taifa Kingdom (204) vs Catalan Company (262)

Final game was against Paul. The Catalans won the initiative and decided to defend in the plains. We decided to deploy with the Infantry on the left, Spanish Knights in the centre and the Andalusian Cavalry on the right.

Despite the fact that we were attacking we decided to take it easy at first to feel out what the Catalans would do.

The Andalusian line was wheeled right. In response the Catalans have moved their right-hand mixed command of Knights and Almogavar and Crossbows further right. Meanwhile the rest of their line has similarly wheeled right in response to our movement.

Once again, the infantry is going to fight a holding action by pinning the enemy’s right command. It seems we have all of our ducks in a row and have a safe start line to launch the assault; or so I think. However, the Catalan's have other ideas and they have spotted that their left has managed to flank the cavalry line.

And the enemy left command successfully shows how to conduct a flank attack and destroy one of my cavalry units. In the centre the Knights and the Andalusian Heavy Cavalry are taking the fight to the enemy, and I am gratified to be able to inflict, for once, to be able to get some payback on the Almogavars.

Despite the success in the centre with the Knights advancing on the enemy camp, the enemy left has started to roll up my line with increasing losses on my Cavalry units.

On the left the Catalan Knights and Almogavars, have advanced to contact my infantry, losing one of the Almogavars in the process. The enemy lights are about to flee of the table and leave the camp vulnerable, which we seize.

Outcome

Despite seizing the camp, the Catalans were able to inflict sufficient casualties on me to cause a Mutual Destruction in the turn the camp was seized and their army was due to break – thanks Mark for allowing us to play out to the end! Another very exciting game.

Lessons Learnt

  • On my right I should have kept the flank refused in order to prevent the Almogavars flanking the line; a more carefully review of the situation when moving is needed.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812 I decided some time ago that I needed to branch out from my current Bataille 15mm armies into the later Na...