ADLG - Game Report 6

Early Imperial Roman (84) vs Huns (110)

I have had bad experiences fighting Huns in the past with WRG 6th Edition. It was going to be interesting to see if anything had changed with ADLG; spoiler alert - it hadn't. For this battle I dropped the artillery, fewer cavalry and more Auxilia.
I was hoping for some constructively difficult terrain for the Hun to navigate, as you can see the entrails from the chicken were against me on this one. Kevin's Huns are already maneuvering against my right flank where my weaker cavalry are outnumbered.
Romans advance to try to force the contact rather than be shot at range by the Huns. The cavalry fight on the right isn't going too well - who thought it would.
Some judicious charges have forced the Huns to evade which might slow them down with hopefully low command dice as they regroup. Meanwhile the warbands in the centre have finally been unleashed.
Minor success but the Huns are overwhelming the Roman Cavalry and Auxilia.

Result

A crushing victory for the Huns

Lessons Learnt

  • I need to go back to the drawing board and think about how an infantry army has a chance of fighting and winning against a mostly cavalry army. Edge to Edge infantry and walk the cavalry off the board?
  • Again Bows intermixed in the line wasn't effective; keep them to the flank, or the end of a line.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...