ADLG - Game Report 17

Greeks(60) vs Early Achaemenid Persian(64)

The one lockdown project that I had yet to complete was rebasing my Early Achaemenid Persians. I am pleased to say that is now complete, or at least partially complete until I need more, and different, troops. These figures are somewhat old, nearly 40 years old in fact, most of them are Peter Laing figures. nonetheless they look quite good when they're all based up on the table.

This game was between myself and my friend Paul. Paul was down in Bournemouth on holiday with his family and he decided to take a break from them for an afternoon of wargaming with me at Entoyment. Paul has only played one game of ADLG, that had been with me via zoom. Therefore, to keep it simple I gave him the same troops as previously, the Greeks.

I placed a strong cavalry presence on the left wing and a lighter cavalry presence on the right wing with the Immortals and sparaba In the centre. I left behind two levy to guard the camp. Paul placed his cavalry on his right and two blocks of hoplites in the centre and left.

The army will advance. And when it advances and gets into range it will fire at the Greeks. Although to be candid the effect was minimal.

The bow armed Persian cavalry had slightly more luck with their bows against the Greek cavalry than the immortals. On the right the Greeks have got themselves into quite a good defensive position. 

My intention was to cause significant disorder amongst the Greeks through bow fire was not was not achieved. Once initial contact has been made I came off worse than the hoplites. Whereas my cavalry did much better. On the right I decided that discretion was the better part of valour and my cavalry evaded.

The Greeks have done well, destroying a large number of sparaba and one unit of immortals. While the Persian cavalry all but destroyed the Greek cavalry on the Greek right. On the Greek left their peltasts are continuing to hold their own against the light troops threatening them.

After breaking the Greek cavalry the Persians have attacked the Greeks in the rear and destroyed two units. 

The Greeks have broken through. They have laps around and attacked the immortals in the flank destroying another two immortal units. One of the immortals has destroyed a hoplite in retaliation.

Outcome 

A victory for the Persians, who lost 16 cohesion points compared to the 25 lost by the Greeks.

Lessons Learnt

  • Don't expect mixed units to stand for long against heavy troops
  • Never underestimate the benefits of attacking in the rear
  • The Persian cavalry pushed their luck somewhat!




No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...