ADLG - Game Report 34

Feudal French(182) vs Song Chinese (225)

My third game was in fact a bye. However, Steve kindly stepped in to ensure that I had a game. This time it was a further stamp on my Feudal French Army's passport as they fought the Chinese. What next Aztecs?

I decided to try and seal the right flank with my infantry force, and use the knights to sweep around the flank.

The advance started reasonable. I felt the need for the central knights to conduct a shallow flanking manoeuvre to protect the flank of the infantry. In the process I forgot that Steve's central command was an unreliable general who was not yet committed. With me coming within 4UD of him, activated him. 

The lines get closer to engagement. And I am already taking casualties from fire.

Contact! And as usual enemy fire is seriously more effective than my own fire! I am trying to screen off the people in the fields.

My cavalry broke through on the flank and the infantry were holding their own. However, the cumulative losses from fire and the inability to rally them off caused my loss. As well of course as rather lame and impetuous attempt to roll over the people in the fields with knights!

Outcome

An 18 to 22 loss. Much closer than the previous games, and in fact Steve was getting quite concerned, but I couldn't quite get over the line at the end.

Lessons Learnt

  • The cumulative effect of casualties from fire without rallying can punish an army.
  • A little extravagant to need to use impetuous knights to act as a screen.


No comments:

Post a Comment

ADLG - Game Report 138

Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...