ADLG - Game Report 40

Greco Bactrian (46) vs Han Chinese (116)

My second game was against Richard’s Han Chinese, a very different type of army to fight, and indeed battle. I had to admire Richard’s tactics of holding back and expecting me to come onto him!

In reality if I was going to secure a result then I would have to move forward to attack with my pikes which were my most combat effective troops on the right flank. This meant advancing into what would now be called a “fire pocket”. The hope being that I could get into contact before the casualties from fire became too painful.

In the meantime, I would support the Pike’s left flank with the elephant and lighter troops attacking the hill. While refusing the far left.

Well, that didn’t go to plan at all. The elephants and lighter troops didn’t fare well against the Chinese on the hill that came out to meet them. On the right the pikes were unable to make as much progress as I wanted and suffered from the bow fire on the way in.

Outcome

A significant loss, against the opponent who would eventually win the day’s competition.

Lessons Learnt

  • A good argument for dismounting Cataphracts to give more infantry weight for the army.
  • The army list needs more thought. Perhaps a single elephant unit is not enough.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...