ADLG - Game Report 43

Flemish (243) vs Medieval Scandinavians (251)

Another warm-up for the Beachhead ADLG competition; this time against Iain. This game was even more important for Iain as he was entering the competition and renewing his acquaintance with ADLG. He certainly threw some interesting curve balls in direction in his game plan.

Iain went for a deep and narrow formation. While I was a little more traditional, with a line of battle refusing my cavalry on the left. With his centre of effort on my right the key question was, how quickly could I manoeuvre my right flank battle of pikes from the right to at least the centre –with an ordinary commander (and my traditional approach to rolling low for command points!)

Fortunately for me at least Iain’s command problems were the equal of mine. This gave me at least a small window to wheel the right battle to the left and advance. On his far right he is attempting to bring his cavalry around the field.

Although I took some cohesion hits on my Knights they and their supporting Halberdiers have destroyed some of the Swedes. Meanwhile the centre and right are trying their best to form a line of battle that can pivot and advance on the Swede’s flank.

My lack of command points has forced me to hold the advance of some Pikes and Crossbows, but the remainder of the centre and left are now firmly engaged. However, my Knights and Halberdiers are slowly being outflanked and destroyed, but not before I killed one of Iain’s generals and routed his army.

Outcome

A win for the Flems, but at the loss of all my Knights bar one who gamely held out on his own on the left flank! A very valuable learning exercise for both Iain and I.

Lessons Learnt

  • Don’t expect grand sweeping blitzkrieg outflanking manoeuvres from ordinary commanders.
  • With only four Knights, deciding when to commit them can win or lose a game – I think I got lucky on this one
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...