ADLG - Game Report 69

Andalusian Arabs(133) vs Post-Roman British(146)

Mark et al were off to do battle in ADLG at a tournament in Germany. As such he wanted to trial his army for the competition. I was warned that it was large, and in point of fact I discovered during the game that it was by far the largest ADLG Army I had ever faced. I selected the Andalusian Arabs as suitable match from the Dark Ages period for him to face.

Despite the paucity of troops mark had deployed I was rather suspicious of the three ambushes, and the number of command dice he was rolling.

I was attacking, and I thought that as his camp was undefended that would be at a good target to gain some valuable cohesion points. Also, I suspected that his left and my right would be the favourable place for a potential flank march to arrive, so I refused that flank.

My cavalry has contacted his on the left and the main attack is about to go in in the centre. As suspected at least one of the ambushes has been sprung early, with its 6 units!

For once my Cavalry have done well and destroyed Mark’s and they are now moving forward to support the rest of the Army. However, at the same time my absolutely dire combat rolls have not helped the rest of the line in contact!

My Cavalry on the left are having a great time rolling over all in their path, but my infantry were like blades of grass in front of Mark’s mower! On the right Mark’s flank march finally arrived, and for a while my flank guard held their own, but again bad combat rolls did for them in the end.

Outcome

An honourable draw. I was within 1 cohesion point of breaking while I had snipped of only 22 of his 37 cohesion points.

Lessons Learnt

  • It is true, quantity has a quality all of its own!
  • I was too reticent about committing the Cavalry against Mark’s infantry. If I had done so I might have broken through earlier.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...