ADLG - Game Report 102

Ptolemaic (43) vs Mithradatic (105)

Second game was a time to bring the Ptolemaics out of the box against Mithradates. The army included some newly based eastern Roman legionaries as imitation legionaries. Additionally, the first appearance of my new coastline, to which Tony added a coast road. I placed my cavalry command along the coast road. The two pike commands were in the centre and left.

I decided to move the medium infantry from both commands to the left as flank protection in the plantation. In order to allow them freedom to manoeuvre I decided, perhaps unwisely, to allow the rest of the army to advance.

As can be the case my cavalry, and particularly the light cavalry, has not performed as well as I would have liked. It was an interesting question as to whether the Thracians would gain an opportunity to attack the flank of the mithridatic cavalry or not. In the centre we are ready for contact.

The Thracians, did in fact contribute to the destruction of the enemy cavalry. However, in the centre the Mithridatic skirmishers are causing a number of losses that I can ill afford before we enter into close combat!

I tried to rally of the losses in the centre but failed to do so. On the right the cavalry battel seems to have entirely gone the way of the Mithridatic cavalry.

We finally make contact in the centre and the dice gods have not been in the favour of my heavy infantry on this day. My sole cavalry unit is trying to fight to the death against overwhelming odds.

Outcome

A win for Tony by 23 to 10.

Lessons Learnt

  • I certainly need to tinker with this army list to see what I can improve and/or change
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...