ADLG - Game Report 103

Anglo Danish(180) vs Norman(179)

By way of preparation for Warfare 2023 Kevin and I decided that we needed to practice with our 28mm armies for the competition. Given that neither of our armies were complete we decided to field surrogate 15mm armies to represent the armies we had chosen.

Hence this is why my Army looks suspiciously like my German barbarians! I deployed an Allied Welsh commander with his medium troops in the centre with two commands of heavy armoured spearmen on the flanks.

Fortunately, the Allies were reliable and committed themselves to battle. I refused and retired the right flank in response to the flanking movement from the Norman cavalry, with my cavalry valiantly providing a covering force for the manoeuvre. And I advanced on the left.

On the left my lights defended the gully, while the heavy spearmen defended the gap in the terrain. I decided to withdraw the light cavalry as it had no place against the Normans. On the right I have reformed my refused right flank and the cavalry are now withdrawing with the Normans in pursuit. The Normans for their part are refusing their own right and loading their left flank against me.

The Norman cavalry have destroyed my own puny cavalry, but for the moment the infantry are holding their own.

The Norman cavalry have disengaged where they thought the fight was not in their favour, but in destroying my cavalry they are now poised to roll up my flank. Meanwhile the enemy infantry are closing up in support to the Norman cavalry.

A series of stunning combat rolls from the Normans saw them all but destroy the Anglo-Danish right wing.

Outcome

A stunning win for the Normans by 28 to 9.

Lessons Learnt

  • First and foremost, read the competition’s instructions – Anglo Danish is not a valid army choice! Back to the army selection drawing board.
  • Not for the first time I would discover that Heavy Cavalry against elite impetuous Heavy Cavalry is not a good combat outcome.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...