ADLG - Game Report 104

Low Countries (243) vs Medieval Scandinavians(251)

The local ADLG community decided to get together for another Saturday’s gaming in mid-August. I took along a selection of armies – the first of which was my Low Countries army which fought Iain’s Scandies. In this army I forwent the Pike option instead I opted for heavy spearmen, and for the first time I was able to dismount my knights as foot knights which I placed in each command to bolster the line of battle.

With the Scandie knights massing on the right I decided to refuse the left and advance on the right.

With my handgunners and medium infantry fighting for the marsh I was able to effectively swing my line around and at the same time protect both flanks.

The Scandie left has been dispersed but not yet broken, but it is allowing me to position my infantry behind the Scandie line of battle.

The Scandie knights have not yet been brought into battle, but their infantry has been. However, my infantry has broken through on the right and are now in a position to try and inflict some casualties from the rear and flank; of course, depending on command dice and the speed of heavy infantry.

A split result in the combat against the Scandie halberdiers. In the centre and right the Flemish came out on top, but on the left the foot knights were humbled by the Scandie halberdiers, and trampled under foot. The troops in the marsh have prevailed against the Scandies.

The battle has become incredibly fragmented with one-on-one and two-on-one fights everywhere. However, the Scandie’s cohesion fails before the Flemish.

Outcome

A win for the Flemish by 10 cohesion hits to 20.

Lessons Learnt

  • The dismounted knights as foot knights was a partial success.
  • In this type of battle the better manoeuvrability of heavy spears vs pikes was hugely beneficial.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...