ADLG - Game Report 97

German-Tencteri (91) vs Nikephorian Byzantines (127)

The final open battle was against the Paul’s Byzantines. For terrain I deployed my coast on the left, and as a consequence the battle lines were predictably drawn up against the coast. We had both placed our cavalry on the4 closed flank against the coast, were seemed to be both hoping to break through and flank from the coats side. My allies were on the right extending my line well beyond the Byzantine left. Would I get sufficiently good command rolls for them to exploit this position, and of course be capable of making the correct command decisions to do so?

I deployed the light cavalry forward to prevent the Byzantines from conducting multiple moves and then withdrew them behind the German cavalry. I have held back ready to come forward to defend the infantry line. I have held back the Allied command as I didn’t like the look of the Byzantine heavy cavalry in front of them.

The light cavalry have been withdrawn as a reserve. The remaining cavalry are poised to come forward to support the infantry line to avoid it being outflanked.

The German Cavalry have now moved forward to close the line, while the infantry have been held until the Cavalry have engaged.

The German cavalry have managed to occupy the Byzantines while the warbands break through the Byzantine infantry line and run amok.

Outcome

A win for the German by 20 to 25, for a total for the open competition of winning 1, lost 1 and drew 1. A reasonable result.

Lessons Learnt

  • A reminder of how effective warbands can be once they come into contact with enemy infantry lines.
  • It seems one has to be willing to accept losses with this army!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...