ADLG - Game Report 118

Post-Roman Brits (146) vs Nikephorian Byzantines (127)

First up on day 2 were Max’s Nikephorian’s. I managed to form the shield wall successfully with relatively secure flanks. The cavalry were brought into reserve as an exploitation force.

A lesson I had learnt from fighting the Mongols and Normans was that my cavalry have no place in the front line, but they can be invaluable as a reserve and for exploiting holes or flanks if they become available.

On the left the Byzantine’s have chanced their cavalry’s luck by charging into my shield wall, and in doing so pushed it to red! Elsewhere they seem content with coming in to try bow fire to weaken me.

The only way to fend of the cavalry armed with bows is to advance on them and force them to evade, and in doing so try to encourage the enemy to commit their infantry to battle. On the right I was a minor fraction of a UD from contacting the enemy flank.

In the centre I have achieved just that as the enemy infantry line attempts to close on the shield wall.

Outcome

In running out of time, and with the inability to make contact the battle ended as a draw with the Byzantine’s losing 5 to the Britto-Roman’s 11 cohesion points.

Lessons Learnt

  • Potentially I should have committed my shield wall earlier.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    ADLG - Game Report 138

    Seleucid(42) vs Aramean(74) I had time for one quick game, and I now hat Tony is a quick player! So onto battle with a relatively historica...