ADLG - Game Report 142

Palmyran(106) vs Assyrian(9)

To ring the changes and to try something different I decided to field a Palmyran Army. I suppose in once just because I could. Paul brought along his favourite Assyrians to do battle. Unfortunately for me the choice of Paul to defend in the desert was going to provide a hindrance to my heavier troops. My goal was to place my infantry on the left to screen of the enemy infantry and to use the Cataphracts to break through on the centre and right.

The initial move saw the Assyrians anchor themselves to the hill, while their medium troops advanced through the difficult terrain. The Palmyrans moved to counter the marauding lights cavalry and readied themselves to fight to gain the high ground.

The enemy bow fire is already causing attrition on the Palmyrans and exactly where it can be most painful, on the Cataphracts.

So the fight to gain the high ground has not been successful. Bow fire from the Assyrians in the sand dunes is increasing the losses on the infantry. Al this as the Assyrian heavy chariots come out to play.

The battlefield is becoming increasingly fragmented. The one success the Palmyrans are having is on the right against the enemy cavalry.

Legionaries are redeployed to counter the chariots – or at least that is the unlikely plan. While the Assyrians have roundly defeated attacks to push them of the hill. My attempts to circle round and take the hill in the flank and frontally was brutally crushed.

Despite driving some Assyrian cavalry of the table, the battle is clearly going their way.

Outcome

A resounding victory for the Assyrians who only suffered 9 out of 22 to our loss of 19.

Lessons Learnt

  • Perhaps better to stick to armies I know how to handle, or at least which I think I can handle.
  • A bad move trying to take the hill alone frontally; a mistake I will make again with another army later.
  • Another case perhaps of Army design. One needs more than 19 units, which is effectively 18 when one is a fortified camp.
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812

    The Imperial Russian Army of 1812 I decided some time ago that I needed to branch out from my current Bataille 15mm armies into the later Na...