ADLG - Game Report 170

Germans – Batavian Revolt (91) vs Palmyran (106)

The practice was over. The army order of battle had been decided upon. What could go wrong? We are about to find out in Round 1 of the “Old Codgers”. My first opponent was Alan’s Palmyrans. An army of lots of similar Legionaries to me but also some comparably equipped auxilia. And of course, supported by the ubiquitous Cataphracts, of which I was expecting to see a lot over the next two days.

As predicted Alan didn’t want to attack me in the woods so I was obligated to attack him in the desert!. The terrain was adequate for my purposes. The only sticky point was the lump of Impassable ground that I had to avoid on my right. This had the consequence of forcing me to do what I didn’t want to do – triple up the depth of the Medium Swordsmen warbands.

However, I fancied my chances of holding on the left, and forcing the issue and result on the right. That is if I could get my Cavalry around his flank and deploy the warbands sufficiently to engage and overwhelm his line.

Already the right has become rather congested and I still have not managed to deploy the warbands. Additionally with the delay, and poor command dice and the Palymran excellent shooting my casualties are starting to mount.

Contact, and the lure of the enemy camp awaits my cavalry. If I do not win the fights then I am doomed to have extra losses caused by routing troops.

And I didn’t win the fights, and yes I caused myself three hits on three units when a single unit routed. Moreover, the dice gods certainly deserted me with combats where I don’t think I rolled any better than a one!

It went from bad to worse as the Cataphracts wrapped up the battle with destroying my Roman Legionaries, and where I had the combat advantage at the right of the line, I failed to take it. Or rather the dice gods conspired to remove it from me!

Outcome

A win for the Palmyrans by 28 to 9, with 9 of my hots scored were from taking the camp!

Lessons Learnt

  • I need to think more about how to deploy when confronted by terrain I can’t move through!
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment

    Bataille Empire - Game Report 16

    Russian 1807 vs French 1807 Robin mentioned that he wanted to see how Bataille Empire played and I therefore, of course, offered the servic...